Mazu Shrine has been at LHONG 1919 since its founding. She is the goddess of the sea, protecting fishermen and seafarers. There are 3 wooden figures of Mazu at different stages of her manifestation.
– A young girl who could predict the weather to ensure safe sea travel and heal the sick
– Mazu the goddess, giving blessings for good fortune
– Empress in Heaven, full of kindness and compassion
The 3 figures were brought on a boat from China and have been enshrined and worshipped here ever since.
THE WANGLEE FAMILY
In 1871 Chen Cihong, a mandarin of the second rank, came from China to settle in Siam and started rice trading at Hua Chong Lhong. He became a well-respected member of the Chinese community in Bangkok. Over the years, his descendants grew the business into a diversified conglomerate which included manufacturing, real estate, insurance and argo industries. The 5th generation is proud to restore their ancestors’ original business property into a Sino-Siamese heritage site.
SAN HE YUAN
LHONG 1919 was constructed in the Chinese architectural style called San He Yuan, meaning 3 buildings surrounding a courtyard. The buildings, built primarily from teak with brick and plaster, with an open courtyard designed according to the feng shui belief about the interconnection between heaven and earth. The main building facing the river houses Mazu Shrine. The 2 conjoining buildings were used as offices and warehouses, and were eventually turned into homes for office workers. The window and door murals depict both a traditional Chinese way of life and many auspicious paintings which have been restored to preserve much of the original beauty of this historical site.
Originally called Hou Chuan Lhong, meaning steamship terminal, LHONG 1919 was built by Phraya Phisansuppaphol, the ancestor of the Bisalputra family The modernization of Siam offered him the opportunity for further oversea trades. Built in 1850, the Chinese style port was designed not only as a steamship terminal but included shops, offices and a Mazu shrine. Around 1900, it was converted into rental home- offices to the Chinese diaspora and became a center for Chinese Merchant Association named Kong Kek. In 1919 after WWI and the recession, it was sold to the Wanglee family.